If you are an antique dealer or collector, you need to learn how to rewire a lamp. It is not nearly as difficult as most people think. Once you learn this simple task you will no longer have to worry whaether a lamp works or not before you buy it. You also will no longer have to gamble whether that old brittle wiring is really dangerous or not.
How to Rewire a Lamp Video
I found this video for you that shows you step by step how to easily rewire a lamp. The vieo shows a table lamp, but it is the same process for rewiring a floor lamp. After the video I will write out the list they show on the video and show you the tools I like and some options on the supplies. You can watch the video as many times as you need to rewire your own lamp. Once you find out how easy it is, you might want to start charging others for rewiring their lamps. Here is the video.
I hope you enjoyed the video and found it helpful. Here are the things you will need.
- Screwdriver (flathead)
- Electrical tape
- wire cutters/ strippers
- lamp socket
- 6-8 feet lamp cord
- plug if not included with cord (not shown in video)
- hot glue gun
- felt (to cover bottom if necessary)
You might also want a single edge razor blade to split the wire, sometimes it is difficult to split the wire apart. If you are only going to rewire one or two lamps, you can get a complete kit that includes the the lamp cord with plug attatched and also a lamp socket. If you are going to be rewiring a lot of lamps, it saves you money to buy a spool of lamp wire, usually in 500 feet rolls. Then you can buy separate plugs, which are easy to attach, and sockets. You can buy the type of socket you like. Here are some links to the things you will need, which usually will save you money from buying at your local stores.
Things You Need to Rewire a Lamp
wire cutters/ strippers Again if you are doing a few lamps, the first 3 are decent choices, but if you are going to be doing it often, I like the Neiko and Klein.
lamp kits (which include wire with plug as well as a socket, some even have a harp)
hot glue gun (if needed)
Now you should have everything you need to rewire a lamp. So next time you see a wonderful old lamp that needs rewiring, don’t be afraid. The video shows you how to do it and there are links for everything you need. Go out and find a bargain and give it a try to rewire a lamp.
- Repairing Antique Furniture: If you want to refinish antique furniture, you will need to at least learn the basics of repairing antique furniture. Ma…
- How to Care For Oriental Rugs: good friend and talented Dallas designer, Courtney Price, recently wrote an article on her blog titled “10 Tips for O…
- How to Use a Palm Sander: When refinishing furniture, one of the most important skills is knowing how to use a palm sander. If the piece you are …
- Refinishing Antique Furniture: Refinishing antique furniture can be a very rewarding experience. If you have not read my article on stripping antique f…
- Stripping Antique Furniture: There are a lot of questions about stripping antique furniture, but the most important one is whether you should strip i…
- Furniture Refinishing and Restoration: I have decided to add this category to Buying and Selling Antiques